Salihbey Mosque

   Çayağzı Mosque is located in Çayağzı (Korzul) ward in the provincial centre of Artvin province. As it was built by Salih Bey, one of the flag officers of Livane (Artvin), in 1792 AD (1207 according to Muslim Calendar) according to its epigraph, it was named after him and it is also called Salihbey Mosque. It was renovated in 1980’s by Mosque Building Society and it is still used today as a mosque. A recently built narthex was added later. The Mosque, which is located on Öğretmen Okulu Street, was built over the basement and has the recently built narthex on the northern side, a minaret on the north-western corner, a historical fountain on the north-western side,  a recently built, two storey Quran Course Center on the western side and another fountain on the eastern side. Its design is approximately square-shaped and the exterior of the mosque is plain. One can easily understand that the mosque has a historical value upon seeing its exterior. However, the interior of the mosque has undergone a change to a great extent despite the efforts to preserve the original form of the mosque.

   Transportation: One can get to the mosque, which is at Öğretmen Okulu Street 22, by taking mini- buses to “Köprü” (The Bridge) and getting off at the “Üstgeçit” (The Crossover) stop.

Kafkasör Festival of Culture and Art
   The mostly interesting part of the festival organized traditionally in during the first week of the July of every year is bull fights. The bulls from the different parts of the city have been categorized according to the thickness of their necks and matched with each other to fight. In order not to hurt the bulls, some certain rules have been implemented since the inception of the bullfighting. During the fighting, if the bulls deemed weak withdraw from the arena, they are regarded as defeated and taken away from the special part of the arena by the persons concerned. Therefore, Caucasuser Bullfighting becomes a sport and festive event within its own rules. This bullfighting, which is performed in the sole “Bullfighting Arena” in Turkey and resume the social and cultural structure of the Artvin district, is unique in the world.
Dolishane Church
   According to the epigraph in the Church situated in Hamamlı Village, Artvin, the Monastery was built by architect Gabriel by order of Sumbath who the King of Bagratuni in 954-958. The construction, which had been used as a monastery until the 14th century, was transformed into a mosque. Being used as a mosque until 1990’s, it doesn’t serve a purpose now. The fact that it was transformed into a mosque assured it to be preserved rather well in comparison with other churches.
Artvin Çarşı Mosque
   Islamisation period of Artvin started in 16th Century with the Ottoman Conquest. Although some churches and monasteries were transformed into mosque at first, construction period of new mosques according to traditional mosque architecture has begun since 18th century. Çarşı (Centre) Mosque was constructed by Artvin People between 1860 and 1861 (hijri 1277/1278). The mosque was re-constructed in 1954 because of deterioration.
Porta (Pırnallı) Church
   It is located at the Bağlık place of Pırnallı village within Artvin central town. It was constructed between 896-918 years by the Prince Khaouli, descendant of I. Aşot the King. It has taken its last shape during the reign of Gurgen the King  (918-941). The structure includes a belfry, chapel and fountain. Considering the settlement plan of the monastery, it is understood that Tao Klarjheti district was the most important cultural and religious centre of that period.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |