Yükleniyor...

Artvin Culture House

According to its epigraph, the house was built in 1799 and its owner was Bicanoğlu Yahya Ağa. The structure which is a masterpiece of Ottoman-Turkish architecure was recorded as “ a mansion with a garden” in the notices of Ottoman land registers. Beautiful examples of carving and engraving can be seen in the house. The cypress tree motifs on the right and the left of the fireplace have a special meaning in Turkish culture. When we analyse the Turkish culture from the past to the present, it can be seen that tree motifs have been used often in the similar ways. The cypress tree motifs which symbolize the tree of life were used in the tiles, tombstones, rugs, fountains etc. by Ottoman craftsmen. The resemblance of cypress tree to the minarets is also a reason why it was used often in the Ottomans.
The restoration and the garden design of the Culture House were made and now it is a place where you can taste local dishes.
The Culture House is 3 km away from the Artvin City Centre. You can go there on foot –it takes about 10 minutes-  or you can use public transportation and then walk 500 metres to reach there.

Kafkasör Festival of Culture and Art
   The mostly interesting part of the festival organized traditionally in during the first week of the July of every year is bull fights. The bulls from the different parts of the city have been categorized according to the thickness of their necks and matched with each other to fight. In order not to hurt the bulls, some certain rules have been implemented since the inception of the bullfighting. During the fighting, if the bulls deemed weak withdraw from the arena, they are regarded as defeated and taken away from the special part of the arena by the persons concerned. Therefore, Caucasuser Bullfighting becomes a sport and festive event within its own rules. This bullfighting, which is performed in the sole “Bullfighting Arena” in Turkey and resume the social and cultural structure of the Artvin district, is unique in the world.
Dolishane Church
   According to the epigraph in the Church situated in Hamamlı Village, Artvin, the Monastery was built by architect Gabriel by order of Sumbath who the King of Bagratuni in 954-958. The construction, which had been used as a monastery until the 14th century, was transformed into a mosque. Being used as a mosque until 1990’s, it doesn’t serve a purpose now. The fact that it was transformed into a mosque assured it to be preserved rather well in comparison with other churches.
Artvin Çarşı Mosque
   Islamisation period of Artvin started in 16th Century with the Ottoman Conquest. Although some churches and monasteries were transformed into mosque at first, construction period of new mosques according to traditional mosque architecture has begun since 18th century. Çarşı (Centre) Mosque was constructed by Artvin People between 1860 and 1861 (hijri 1277/1278). The mosque was re-constructed in 1954 because of deterioration.
Porta (Pırnallı) Church
   It is located at the Bağlık place of Pırnallı village within Artvin central town. It was constructed between 896-918 years by the Prince Khaouli, descendant of I. Aşot the King. It has taken its last shape during the reign of Gurgen the King  (918-941). The structure includes a belfry, chapel and fountain. Considering the settlement plan of the monastery, it is understood that Tao Klarjheti district was the most important cultural and religious centre of that period.
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 |